- Web Desk
- 23 Minutes ago
Two G-B Scouts soldiers martyred in terrorist attack on Chilas checkpost
-
- Tanveer Abbas
- 3 Hours ago
GILGIT: Two soldiers of the Gilgit-Baltistan (G-B) Scouts were martyred when terrorists attacked a security forces’ checkpost in the Hudur area of Chilas in Diamer district, G-B Home Minister Shams Lone confirmed on Friday.
While talking to HUM News English, Lone said that a group of terrorists opened fire at the checkpost between 12:05 AM and 12:20 AM from a nearby mountain. He said that two brave soldiers embraced martyrdom and one soldier was injured.
Also read: G-B flood victims get Rs20m compensation cheques
Havildar Ashraf and Naib Subedar Khush Dad lost their lives in the battle. Their bodies were shifted to the Regional Headquarters Hospital in Chilas. Lance Naik Sajid Ali sustained serious injuries during the attack and is currently undergoing treatment.
The home minister added that the terrorists managed to flee the scene after the assault, taking advantage of the night.
“Security forces have launched a search operation in the surrounding areas, and they will track down and eliminate those behind this cowardly act,” he added.
G-B CHIEF MINISTER TAKES NOTICE
G-B Chief Minster has taken notice of the attack. G-B government spokesperson Faizullah Faraq said that CM Haji Gulbar Khan has taken strict notice of the tragic incident and has ordered the pursuit of the perpetrators.
“The attack on the Gilgit-Baltistan Scouts is an attack on the entire Gilgit-Baltistan. We will ensure that this handful of miscreants has nowhere to hide,” the spokesperson said, terming the attack an act of ‘extreme cowardice’.
In a statement, CM Gulbar Khan condemned the attack and directed the G-B Home Secretary to submit a detailed report on the incident within 48 hours. He said that those who challenge the state’s writ would not be tolerated and will face the full force of the law.
He also paid tribute to the martyred GB Scouts personnel, saying that the nation salutes their sacrifice for peace and development in the region.
The chief minister offered condolences to the families of the martyrs and assured their families that the government will provide all possible support and assistance to them during this difficult time.
OVER 170 COPS SERVED NOTICES
More than 170 personnel of the Special Protection Unit (SPU) of Gilgit-Baltistan police were served show-cause notices for participating in a sit-in protest against delays in the implementation of a government-announced increase in daily allowances.
The Additional Inspector General of Police (AIGP) issued the notices despite prior government assurances that no punitive action would be taken against protesting officers.
The SPU officers, deployed for security at the Diamer-Basha Dam in Diamer, joined hundreds of their colleagues in an eight-day protest outside the Gilgit-Baltistan Chief Minister’s Secretariat earlier this month.
The protest ended on August 18 following negotiations led by Gilgit-Baltistan Assembly member Advocate Amjad Hussain, who promised an increase in allowances, no punishment for protesters, and reinstatement of suspended personnel.
However, within a week, affected officers received noticed alleging misconduct including desertion of duty, participating in protests in police uniform, instigating others via social media, blocking public roads, and taking oaths against government policies.
Also read: Over 170 Gilgit-Baltistan cops served notices for protest
Earlier, 36 police officers were also suspended for involvement in the protests, including 26 reserve police from Gilgit whose salaries were also stopped.
The protests stem from delayed payments of approved allowances aimed at matching bandits given to Islamabad police. Protestors demanded parity in daily rations and inclusion in display reduction allowances.