Anderson Cooper exits ‘60 Minutes’ after nearly 20 years as CBS faces turmoil


Anderson Cooper

Anderson Cooper is stepping down from 60 Minutes after nearly two decades with the iconic CBS newsmagazine, marking a significant shift at the programme during a turbulent period for the network.

The veteran journalist confirmed he will not renew his agreement with the top-rated Sunday broadcast, ending a role he has balanced alongside his full-time anchoring duties at CNN since 2006.

“Being a correspondent at 60 Minutes has been one of the great honours of my career,” Cooper said in a statement. “For nearly twenty years, I’ve been able to balance my jobs at CNN and CBS, but I have little kids now and I want to spend as much time with them as possible, while they still want to spend time with me.”

His final segment, a profile of filmmaker Ken Burns, aired on Sunday.

A nearly 20-year run ends

Cooper joined 60 Minutes during the 2006–2007 season under an agreement between CNN and CBS that allowed him to report for both networks.

Over the years, he delivered high-profile investigations and feature stories, earning multiple Emmy Awards. His reporting included a profile of jazz prodigy Joey Alexander and a story about African prison inmates whose music later won a Grammy.

CBS News praised his tenure in a statement.

“For more than two decades, Anderson Cooper has taken 60 Minutes viewers on journeys to faraway places, told unforgettable stories, reported consequential investigations and interviewed many prominent figures,” the network said. “We’re grateful to him and understand the importance of spending more time with family.”

Exit comes amid CBS turbulence

Although Cooper cited family priorities, his departure comes at a sensitive moment for CBS News and parent company Paramount Global.

Over the past year, 60 Minutes has been at the centre of corporate and political controversy. Former U.S. president Donald Trump sued the programme in 2024 over edits made to an interview with then-vice president Kamala Harris. CBS News attorneys described the lawsuit as baseless, but Paramount ultimately agreed to a $16 million settlement as it pursued regulatory approval for its sale to Skydance.

Amid those developments, longtime executive producer Bill Owens resigned, followed by Wendy McMahon, head of the news division.

More recently, a segment on deportations to El Salvador was pulled after internal disagreement before airing weeks later with an expanded introduction and postscript.

While Cooper’s exit has been described as a personal decision, it coincides with a period of heightened scrutiny and internal upheaval for one of American television’s most influential news programmes.

A renewed focus on CNN and family

Late last year, Cooper signed a new deal with CNN, where he anchors Anderson Cooper 360°, hosts the Sunday programme The Whole Story with Anderson Cooper, and fronts the podcast and streaming series All There Is.

His statement made clear that family played a decisive role in his choice.

Though framed as a personal pivot, the move closes a nearly 20-year chapter at 60 Minutes and signals a recalibration of priorities at a time when legacy news institutions are navigating shifting political and corporate pressures.

You May Also Like