- Web
- 6 Hours ago
Gul Plaza fire: 30 confirmed dead; death toll expected to rise as recovery efforts continue
-
- Web Desk
- Jan 21, 2026
WEB DESK: In the aftermath of the Gul Plaza tragedy in Karachi, the city’s Police Surgeon, Dr Samia Syed, confirmed that 30 people have lost their lives so far. She added that the examination of additional remains recovered from the debris is ongoing, and warned that the death toll could rise further as the rescue and recovery efforts continue.
Rescue operations at the fire-ravaged Gul Plaza are ongoing, with authorities working to recover victims and assess structural safety, officials said.
Firefighting and Search Efforts Ongoing
Fire Officer Zafar Khan told the media that firefighting and search teams have been working round-the-clock since the first day of the incident. “Our teams continue operations despite extreme heat, and cooling efforts are underway at two points inside the building,” he said. Khan added that teams recovered two bodies while one section of the building has been cleared. “Today, we are focusing on the two remaining areas that could not be searched yesterday,” he added.

Recovery and Missing Persons Update
Deputy Commissioner South, Javed Nabi Khoso, provided an update, emphasising the careful approach being taken. Heavy debris has been removed, and pathways are being created to access the middle of the structure. Both manual and machine-assisted searches are being conducted where possible. So far, 28 bodies have been recovered, 11 of which have been identified, while 85 individuals remain listed as missing, though some names are being verified for duplicates.
Structural Safety and Precautionary Measures
The adjoining Rimpa Plaza has been temporarily sealed. Authorities are awaiting a report from the Sindh Building Control Authority (SBCA) before determining whether the building is structurally unsafe. Khoso stressed that no hasty decisions are being made. “Human lives are our top priority, and the technical teams are conducting thorough inspections before clearing the remaining debris,” he said.

Investigations and Support for Families
Police are investigating the disappearance of two dumpers carrying debris. Families of the missing have been provided with an information desk since the first day to track progress, and officials are doing their best to ensure rapid identification of recovered bodies. Authorities confirmed that full demolition and debris removal of the building will only be carried out once all missing individuals have been accounted for.