- Web Desk
- 45 Minutes ago
Gul Plaza tragedy: Sindh cabinet sets up sub-committee
-
- Web Desk
- Jan 27, 2026
WEB DESK: The Sindh Cabinet has expressed deep sorrow over the Gul Plaza tragedy, with Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah announcing the formation of a sub-committee to review the incident and ensure justice and relief for victims.
The sub-committee includes provincial ministers Sharjeel Inam Memon, Nasir Hussain Shah, Saeed Ghani, and Zia-ul-Hassan Lanjari, and will examine the report submitted by the inquiry committee headed by the Commissioner Karachi. Based on the sub-committee’s findings, the Chief Minister will decide on further actions and a roadmap for accountability. “Once the report is received, immediate measures will be taken to ensure justice,” said CM Shah.
The Sindh Cabinet also approved compensation for the families of the victims, with each family set to receive PKR 1 crore. Additionally, affected shopkeepers will be provided PKR 500,000 each through the Commissioner to cover kitchen and utility expenses. “It is our collective responsibility to provide maximum relief to those affected,” CM Shah said.
In a further relief measure, the cabinet approved interest-free loans of PKR 1 crore per shopkeeper to help them restart their businesses, with the Sindh government covering any payable interest. All affected shopkeepers will be provided the necessary shop facilities within two months to resume operations.
CM Shah emphasised that the provincial government is committed to taking all possible steps to protect and support the affected business community, ensuring they can rebuild their livelihoods safely and promptly.
Gul Plaza fire linked to ‘negligence’
Investigations into the devastating Gul Plaza fire suggested on Monday that the blaze, one of the deadliest commercial fires in recent years, may have been triggered by a minor act of negligence. Authorities say the fire started in a shop selling artificial flowers, where the owner had left his son in charge. The boy and a friend reportedly played with a match or lighter, igniting the store’s flammable inventory and rapidly spreading the fire throughout the building.
Investigators noted that 9 out of 13 emergency exits were locked, trapping many inside and contributing to the high casualty count. Legal action against the shop owner is being considered as part of the ongoing investigation. Officials continue to probe how the fire spread so quickly and why safety protocols failed.
Challenges in Identifying Victims
The identification of victims remains a major challenge. Medico-legal sources report that over 15 individuals’ remains could not yet be matched to DNA samples. A special committee, led by Deputy Commissioner South Javed Nabi Khoso and including representatives from the police, forensic offices, and Gul Plaza administration, is overseeing the handover of bodies to families. So far, the Sindh Forensic DNA Lab has issued 16 reports, and 25 of the 73 bodies recovered have been identified. Families of some missing persons have yet to provide DNA samples, delaying the process.
Search Concludes Amid Debris Removal
The search and rescue operation officially ended on the tenth day, though heavy machinery continues to clear rubble. The building is expected to be sealed. Chief Fire Officer Humayun Khan confirmed all floors were thoroughly inspected. MQM-P leader Farooq Sattar called the incident a “national tragedy” and demanded a Supreme Court-led judicial inquiry to improve urban safety and accountability in Karachi.
Authorities remain focused on completing investigations, identifying victims, and ensuring legal accountability, while the city grapples with the scale of the disaster and its aftermath.