- Monis Siraj
- August 21, 2026
CJP declares partial victory as Pradhan resigns, but Dipke vows to fight for compensation, action against police
-
- Reuters
- July 25, 2026
NEW DELHI: Cockroach Janata Party (CJP) leader Abhijeet Dipke declared a partial victory on Saturday after Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan’s resignation, but said the movement would continue until two more demands were met. “This is democracy. He has resigned, but we have two more demands. We won’t go like this,” Dipke said, calling for compensation of one crore rupees for the families of students who died by suicide, and action against police personnel involved in the crackdown on protesters.
The CJP listed Pradhan’s resignation as its first demand met, with compensation for victims’ families and accountability for police action against protesters still pending. “Remember, do not mess with cockroaches,” Dipke warned, signalling the group had no plans to stand down despite the minister’s exit.
Pradhan revealed the resignation on X just as police fired tear gas to disperse young protesters in New Delhi, hours before their leaders were due to hold another round of talks with government ministers.
“Considering the situation that has arisen at Jantar Mantar and across the country, so that anti-national forces do not take advantage of this situation … I have sent my resignation letter to the Prime Minister,” Pradhan wrote in his post.
“I deeply respect the aspirations, feelings, and legitimate expectations of the country’s youth.”
Cheers erupted among the thousands of protesters who have been rallying in central Delhi and elsewhere as the news spread. Federal authorities have restricted access to the internet and to 18 metro stations to try to limit the protest in the capital.
Activist Sonam Wangchuk also tweeted from the hospital bed, congratulating all those who participated in the protests. Wangchuk began his hunger strike on June 28 and ended it on July 24.
The protests
Anger had boiled over since police on Monday injured many students, launching baton charges and firing tear gas to deter crowds of protesters marching on parliament. The protests, led largely by young people and triggered by discontent over leaks of question papers for high-stakes entrance exams, reflect anger over job scarcity, corruption and government accountability.
Earlier today India’s government had resumed talks Saturday with leaders of the Gen-Z-led CJP , the biggest youth challenge Prime Minister Narendra Modi has faced since 2014. Thousands of supporters rallied in central Delhi for a fourth straight day of metro closures, as authorities restricted access to the protest site. Opposition parties have echoed the protesters’ demands, disrupting parliament’s monsoon session.
Spokesperson Ashutosh Ranka said the party wanted clarity on Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan’s fate: “Will the government seek his resignation or not? We want a yes or no answer.”
At Friday’s talks, CJP representatives Saurav Das and Ashutosh Ranka warned ministers J.P. Nadda and Jitendra Singh the protests could spread unless Pradhan resigned. The talks followed activist Sonam Wangchuk’s decision to end a 26-day hunger strike, raising hopes of a breakthrough.
The government extended a mobile internet shutdown in the area for a fifth straight day, sources said. Protesters expressed frustration but vowed not to back down. “They can shut down internet, metros and buses, but what will that achieve? Nothing,” said protester Rahul Raj, 34.
The unrest was triggered by leaks of medical entrance exam papers, forcing over 2 million candidates to retake tests and exposing systemic flaws. Protesters had been demanding Pradhan’s resignation and sweeping exam reforms.