Israel deploys police at Al-Aqsa Mosque ahead of Ramadan amid Palestinian concerns


WEB DESK: Israeli police announced on Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, amid Palestinian accusations that Israel is imposing restrictions at the site.

According to Arab News, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa Islam’s third-holiest site, located in East Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.

Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be stationed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding Old City. Thousands of additional officers would also be deployed for Friday prayers, which attract the largest crowds.

Police recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem. Braverman did not confirm whether age limits would apply, noting that the final decision rests with the Israeli government.

Palestinians voice concerns over Al-Aqsa Ramadan limits

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said it had been informed that permits would likely be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria. Palestinian officials and sources within the Islamic Waqf the Jordanian-run body administering the site also claimed that Israeli authorities had blocked routine preparations, including the installation of shade structures and temporary medical clinics. A Waqf source added that 33 of its employees were barred from entering the compound in the week preceding Ramadan.

The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and a frequent flashpoint. Under long-standing arrangements, Jews may visit the site revered as the location of their Second Temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD but are not permitted to pray there. While Israel maintains that it is committed to preserving this “status quo,” Palestinians have expressed concern that it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer restrictions, including far-right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.

You May Also Like