KP chief minister announces ‘Imran Khan Release Force’ as opposition ends parliament sit-in


KP chief minister announces ‘Imran Khan Release Force’

ISLAMAMABAD: Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Sohail Afridi on Wednesday announced the formation of a force aimed at securing the release of jailed former prime minister Imran Khan, while opposition lawmakers announced to end a sit-in in parliament ahead of Ramadan.

Speaking to reporters outside the Supreme Court, Sohail Afridi said that responsibility for protests and negotiations had earlier been assigned to Allama Raja Nasir Abbas and Mahmood Khan Achakzai, adding that Khan had tasked them with preparing a street movement under which an “Imran Khan Release Force” would be established.

Afridi said that the force would include members of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), its student wing Insaf Student Federation and the party’s women’s wing.

He said that members would take an oath in Peshawar after Eid, following which the future course of action would be announced.

Nasir Abbas told reporters that a medical report regarding Khan’s eye condition had been submitted to the Supreme Court.

He said Khan’s eye condition had been “alarming” and alleged criminal negligence on the part of prison authorities, adding that the matter would be taken to court.

He said that the Tehreek Tahaffuz Aaien Pakistan (TTAP) had decided to stage a sit-in outside parliament to prevent what he described as further government negligence.

He criticised what he called attempts to block peaceful protest and termed the government’s actions unconstitutional, condemning the arrest of lawmakers and the registration of terrorism cases against them.

Nasir Abbas said that Achakzai had threatened a hunger strike after reports that Khan’s eyesight had been affected, but added that there had since been some improvement in his eye condition.

He called for continued medical monitoring and demanded access for doctors Faisal Sultan and Asim Yousaf, as well as greater involvement of Khan’s family and lawyers.

He said concerns intensified after a report by lawyer Salman Safdar suggested that 80 per cent of Khan’s vision had been impaired.

Although there had been some improvement, he said, ambiguity remained and any delay in treatment would amount to criminal negligence.

Nasir Abbas said that Khan had sent a message seeking a meeting with Dr Faisal Sultan.

He said the opposition had decided to end its sit-in due to the start of the holy month of Ramadan but would soon announce its next course of action.

Separately, lawmakers belonging to PTI and allied parties announced they were ending a multi-day sit-in inside parliament over Khan’s health.

Leaders of the TTAP made the announcement while speaking to reporters outside the Supreme Court, saying the protest was being called off as Ramadan was set to begin.

Opposition Leader in the Senate Raja Nasir Abbas and Opposition Leader in the National Assembly Mahmood Khan Achakzai also spoke to the media.

Earlier on Wednesday, leaders of the movement had left their protest camp at parliament and arrived at the Supreme Court to attend hearings in cases related to Khan.

Nasir Abbas said the sit-in at Parliament House had been aimed at registering their protest over Khan’s health concerns and added that the opposition considered it successful. He said PTI and allied parties would soon unveil their future strategy.

You May Also Like