Lahore: get your kites ready as Basant festivities set to begin on Feb 6


Basant Punjab

LAHORE: The district administration has released the schedule for Basant-related events in Lahore, with celebrations set to formally begin on February 6.

According to officials, the opening ceremony of the Basant festivities will be held on the evening of February 6 at the historic Shahi Qila. Sources said provincial ministers, prominent political figures and senior government officials will attend the inaugural event.

A second, special ceremony is scheduled for the afternoon of February 7, also at the Shahi Qila, the DC Office said. On the same day, foreign diplomats will be invited to attend the celebrations, highlighting the cultural significance of the spring festival.

However, sources clarified that events taking place at the Shahi Qila on February 6 and 7 will be closed to the general public, with entry restricted to invited guests only.

Basant, traditionally associated with kite-flying and the arrival of spring, has long been regarded as one of Lahore’s most vibrant cultural celebrations. The announcement of official events has renewed excitement in the city, as preparations get under way to mark the colourful festival.

Safety concerns resurfaced as court challenge mounts against festival revival

Earlier in December, the Lahore High Court (LHC) had been approached against the permission granted for celebrating Basant after the Deputy Commissioner (DC) Lahore allowed kite-flying activities from February 6 to 8. A miscellaneous petition filed by Advocate Azhar Siddique was seeking the withdrawal of the notification, arguing that kite flying poses serious risks to public safety.

The petitioner cited recent incidents in which a young man and a girl were critically injured due to kite-related accidents, warning that similar tragedies could recur. He urged the court to suspend the notification until a final verdict is issued on the main petition, stressing the need for immediate judicial intervention to prevent loss of life.

The challenge came amid a broader case already pending before the LHC against the Punjab government’s ordinance aimed at reviving Basant after nearly two decades. That petition questions the legality of the ordinance, arguing it was issued unnecessarily while the Punjab Assembly was in session, and recalls past fatal incidents linked to kite flying across the province.

The Punjab government, however, defended the move, saying Basant will be held as a regulated cultural event with strict safety measures. Punjab Information Minister Azma Bukhari said hazardous kite strings have been banned, with severe penalties for violations. Basant has remained prohibited since 2007 due to deadly accidents involving kite strings.

You May Also Like