- Monis Siraj
- August 21, 2026
Man killed after allegedly opening fire on security forces on Rawalpindi’s Mall Road
-
- WEB DESK
- August 11, 2026
RAWALPINDI: An armed man was killed in an exchange of fire with security forces on Mall Road in Rawalpindi on Tuesday after he allegedly opened fire on a patrolling team, injuring one security official.
According to a statement issued by Rawalpindi police, the incident took place at around 11:15am on August 11, when the man identified by police as Muhammad Hussain allegedly opened fire on security forces on Mall Road.
The firing injured one member of the security forces’ patrolling team, the police spokesperson said.
Security personnel responded to the attack and killed the assailant in retaliatory fire, according to police.
Police said that a mobile phone and other belongings recovered from the deceased had yielded further evidence and links, adding that investigations into the incident were continuing.
The police statement also said that the assailant was affiliated with a “particular political party”, without naming the party.
Alleged PTI affiliation
According to sources, Hussain was an active worker of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) and had allegedly remained in contact with the party’s leadership and acted on their instructions.
The sources further claimed that Hussain had previously been involved in violence during protest sit-ins, including alleged incidents of provocation, stone-pelting and firing.
They alleged that during such protests, Hussain had targeted security personnel with firearms.
Further investigation into his alleged political links, activities and the evidence recovered from his possession is under way, the sources said.
State broadcaster PTV News, quoting security sources, also reported that the alleged attacker was a resident of Khyber district and an active PTI member.
According to the report, a PTI flag, bullets and weapons were allegedly recovered from his possession.
Visuals aired on television showed a red-and-green cloth, a firearm and bullets purportedly recovered from the suspect.
The police, however, have not publicly detailed the nature of the alleged links found in Hussain’s mobile phone or other belongings.
Information minister condemns attack
Following the incident, Information Minister Attaullah Tarar criticised what he described as PTI’s “politics of violence”.
Tarar said that there was no justification for opening fire on security personnel and confirmed that the incident had occurred on Mall Road in Rawalpindi.
The minister alleged that PTI members had repeatedly arrived at protests armed and resorted to violence against security personnel.
He also referred to PTI’s announcement of a long march to Islamabad on September 27, arguing that the latest incident raised questions about the nature of the party’s future protests.
Tarar claimed that the alleged recovery of a PTI flag and other documents from Hussain provided further evidence of the party’s alleged involvement.
He alleged that the objective of PTI protests was to create unrest, damage law and order and destabilise the country.
The minister also linked his criticism to PTI’s announcement of a long march following Pakistan’s recent tripartite defence agreement with Saudi Arabia and Turkiye.
Tarar alleged that PTI had repeatedly announced protests at times when Pakistan was making diplomatic or political gains.
He maintained that the government would not allow anyone to target security personnel or disrupt public order.
PTI rejects link to incident
PTI, however, distanced itself from the incident and rejected attempts to associate the party with the shooting.
PTI Islamabad regional president Amir Mughal said that the party believed in peaceful and unarmed political struggle and had nothing to do with terrorism or the incident on Mall Road.
Mughal called for the facts surrounding the shooting to be made public and urged the authorities not to use the incident to malign the party.
He rejected the portrayal of PTI as a terrorist or anti-state organisation and said the party’s political position was based on peaceful political struggle.
Mughal also argued that attempts to associate PTI with violence had previously been rejected by the public, pointing to the party’s electoral support in the February 8, 2024 general elections.
Investigation under way
Rawalpindi police said further investigation into the incident was under way.
Investigators are examining the mobile phone and other belongings recovered from Hussain, while authorities are also looking into his background and alleged links.
The competing claims from police and security sources on one hand and PTI on the other could not be independently verified.