- Web
- 9 Hours ago
Minister says Imran Khan to receive hospital care, eye injection
-
- Web Desk
- 2 Minutes ago
ISLAMABAD: Parliamentary Affairs Minister Tariq Fazal Chaudhry has said that incarcerated PTI founder and former prime minister Imran Khan will be shifted to hospital twice in the coming days, including for a scheduled injection on February 25 as part of his ongoing treatment.
Speaking on ARY News, the minister maintained that the government was committed to ensuring the former premier received the “best possible medical facilities”, adding that arrangements had previously been made to move him to the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences under tight security.
Imran, who is currently held at Adiala Jail, has been undergoing treatment after being diagnosed in late January with right central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO), an eye condition that has prompted concern from his family and party leaders.
The matter has also triggered political sparring, with the opposition alleging a lack of transparency and restricted access for Imran’s personal doctors. The government has rejected those claims.
Chaudhry said doctors who examined Imran in jail had advised referral to a tertiary care hospital, leading to his earlier visit to PIMS. He added that the state bore full responsibility for the former prime minister’s health while he remained in custody.
The minister further said the government had invited PTI representatives to be present during a medical examination at Adiala Jail on February 15, but claimed the party failed to finalise who would attend. He alleged that although PTI Chairman Gohar Ali Khan was proposed for the visit, objections were raised within the party.
According to Chaudhry, the PTI leadership, a family member and Imran’s personal physician had been invited for the previous examination, and similar invitations would be extended for the upcoming hospital visit and injection.
Responding to a question about access for Imran’s personal doctors, including Dr Faisal Sultan and Dr Aasim Yusuf, the minister said the party had particularly pressed for Dr Sultan’s presence but noted that he was not an ophthalmologist.
He reiterated that there was “no secrecy” surrounding the treatment plan and that arrangements for February 25 would proceed as scheduled.