Pakistani tennis star Aisam-ul-Haq announces retirement


Pakistani tennis star Aisam-ul-Haq announces retirement

Pakistani tennis star Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi has announced his retirement from professional tennis. The 45-year-old made the announcement on Monday night during the opening ceremony of the ATP Challenger Pakistan in Islamabad.

Earlier this month, the Pakistan Tennis Federation (PTF) President Aisam-ul-Haq had said that hosting an international ATP tournament in Pakistan had always been his dream — one that finally came true this year.

Addressing the ceremony, an emotional Aisam said, “I don’t know whether these tears are for my career or for hosting the Challenger Cup as president.”

In a statement, the PTF said Aisam’s legacy would continue to inspire future generations and play a key role in promoting tennis across the country.

Aisam, who began his professional career in 1998, remains the only Pakistani to reach a Grand Slam final, having played the men’s doubles and mixed doubles finals at the 2010 US Open.

According to the ATP Tour, he achieved a career-high singles ranking of 125 in 2007, and reached world No. 8 in doubles in 2011 with Indian partner Rohan Bopanna.

The ATP also honoured Aisam and seven other retiring players at the Nitto ATP Finals held in Turin this month.

Reflecting on his journey, Aisam said it was an “incredible feeling” to reach such heights, adding that he never imagined his career would last this long. He described the ATP as a “second home,” noting that friendships and trust built over the years were his greatest achievements.

Aisam has also been recognised globally for his humanitarian initiatives. He and Bopanna received the Peace and Sport Award for their “Stop War, Start Tennis” campaign, which aimed to promote peace through a symbolic tennis match at the Pakistan–India border.

He is also a recipient of the Pride of Pakistan award (2004) and the Salam Pakistan Youth Award (2007).

You May Also Like