- Web
- 25 Minutes ago
Preliminary report issued on Karachi Gul Plaza fire; collapse and casualties revealed
-
- Web Desk
- Jan 18, 2026
KARACHI: Fire brigade officials have released an initial report on the devastating fire at Karachi’s Gul Plaza, confirming structural collapse and casualties.
According to the report, the rear part of the building has completely collapsed, claiming the life of firefighter Furqan. Another firefighter from the Karachi Municipal Corporation (KMC) Fire Brigade was injured after being struck by debris.
So far, authorities have reported 6 deaths and 17 injuries. Fire officials said the blaze has been controlled by approximately 60 per cent, but flames continue to flare up intermittently.
Firefighters are battling the fire from three sides, with ample water supply available. However, officials noted that the building’s structure remains extremely weak, and the front section could collapse at any time, making complete extinguishment a significant challenge.
The report underscores the dangers faced by emergency personnel and highlights the ongoing risks as efforts continue to bring the fire fully under control.
Earlier, Sindh government spokesperson Sadia Javed said that the fire brigade was facing severe difficulties in extinguishing the blaze due to the building’s poor infrastructure.
“There is no proper exit from the building, nor any system for air circulation,” she said, adding that firefighters were unable to enter the building at several points because of intense heat and smoke.
Fire tenders from across Karachi have been deployed to the scene, while Pakistan Navy and Karachi Port Trust (KPT) vehicles also joined the rescue operation. Sadia Javed revealed that no fire extinguishing arrangements were installed in Gul Plaza. She also disclosed that while the building was approved for 400 shops, around 1,200 shops had been constructed, a serious violation of building regulations.