Traders block KKH in protest over Pak-China trade suspension


Traders block KKH

GILGIT: Traders on Friday staged a sit-in and blocked the Karakoram Highway in Pissan after Hunza and Nagar police on Friday stopped them from moving towards Sost Port to hold a rally against the suspension of trade between Pakistan and China for the past six months.

Following a call by the Pakistan-China Traders Action Committee, the traders from Gilgit and surrounding areas had been conducting a sit-in protest for four days at the Ghulmet area of Nagar.

On Friday, a large convoy of vehicles began moving towards Sost in Hunza to hold a rally demanding resolution of trade issues.

However, police stopped them at multiple locations, including Pissan area of Nagar, barring their progress. Similar actions were taken against traders from other areas of Nagar, preventing them from proceeding further.

In defiance, the protesters staged a sit-in on the Karakoram Highway in Pissan, disrupting traffic and leaving hundreds of vehicles stranded. The traders warned that they would not allow any vehicles to pass until their demands were met.

Also read: Diamer-Basha Dam protestors warn of KKH Blockade as sit-in enters 50th day

The protesters had planned a major rally at Sost Port to pressure the government into addressing their grievances. The traders have mobilised support from across the region, emphasizing the critical economic impact of the prolonged trade suspension and customs-related issues at the border.

The traders have submitted a detailed charter of demands addressing long-standing grievances related to customs policies and taxation at Sost Dry Port.

The traders demand immediate clearance of all small and large cargo vehicles stuck at Sost Dry Port for the past two years under previous customs policies.

The protestors also want recognition of Gilgit-Baltistan’s disputed status by exempting the region from income and sales taxes, allowing clearance of goods based solely on customs duty.

They demand relocation of the customs check post outside Gilgit-Baltistan’s jurisdiction, as the current collection of income and sales tax at Sost Port is deemed “unlawful”.

The traders also called for the withdrawal of what they termed “illegal FIRs” filed against traders linked to Sost Port and an end to alleged harassment.

They insisted that confiscated goods be auctioned or disposed of within Gilgit-Baltistan in accordance with the law, rather than being moved elsewhere. The traders alleged that Customs officials were attempting to transfer all seized goods to Peshawar for auction.

However, Assistant Collector Customs Usman Chatta told HUM News English that there are no such plans to relocate the goods.

The traders vowed to continue their protest until their demands were met, highlighting growing concerns over the prolonged trade disruptions and their impact on livelihoods in the region.

Speaking to HUM News English, Special Assistant to the Chief Minister on Industries Muhammad Ali Quaid, who is also part of the protest, said the traders may have been stopped by administration due to some administrative reasons.

He clarified that the Gilgit-Baltistan government was not against the traders and that the issues were related to the federal government. Quaid added that negotiations have not yet started.

You May Also Like