- Monis Siraj
- August 21, 2026
Trump announces Iran-linked shipping blockade in Strait of Hormuz
-
- Reuters
- July 14, 2026
WEB DESK: US President Donald Trump on Monday announced a full blockade on ships travelling to and from Iranian ports, while claiming that the Strait of Hormuz has been reopened for all maritime traffic except vessels linked to Iran.
In his statement on Truth Social, President Trump credited the US military for ensuring the reopening of the strategic waterway, saying that “oil is flowing like never before” due to the “awesome power of the United States military.”
“A special salute to Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Dan Caine, and Commander of the United States Central Command, Admiral Brad Cooper,” Trump said, praising what he called the “most powerful military anywhere in the world.”
The US president said the Strait of Hormuz was now open to all ship traffic “except for Iran,” accusing Tehran’s leadership of pursuing a “violent” and “malicious” path.
“We will therefore have a FULL Blockade, but only on Ships coming to and from Iranian ports, or carrying anything having to do with Iranian cargo,” Trump said.
The US president did not provide details about how the blockade would be enforced or specify the legal framework behind the move.
Gulf investments to replace US reimbursement fee
Trump also announced a shift in his economic policy towards Gulf countries, saying he had decided to replace a proposed 20 per cent United States reimbursement fee with trade and investment agreements.
“Based on highly productive conversations with Middle East leadership, I have decided to replace the 20% United States Reimbursement Fee with Trade and Investment Deals that the various Gulf States will be making into the United States,” he said.
The US president added that the investments would be “massive” and would bring factories, plants and equipment to the United States, creating what he described as “millions of high-paying American jobs.”
Trump vows Iran will not get nuclear weapons
Addressing Iran’s nuclear programme, Trump reaffirmed his long-standing warning that Tehran would not be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons.
“IRAN WILL NEVER HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON!” Trump wrote.
He also accused Iran of being responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, including what he described as 52,000 protesters, and said “The days of Iran killing hundreds of thousands of people are over.”
Trump concluded his statement by declaring that “America is winning again,” saying the country was achieving economic and strategic gains under his administration.
Trump threatens strike on Iran’s ‘Pickaxe Mountain’ facility
Earlier, in an interview with the Hugh Hewitt Show, the president threatened to target Iran’s heavily fortified “Pickaxe Mountain” facility, warning Tehran that Washington would continue launching strikes as tensions between the two countries intensify.
Trump said the US was closely monitoring the underground site near Iran’s damaged Natanz uranium enrichment facility and suggested that a strike could take place soon.
“We’re going to take out Pickaxe Mountain. Tell the Iranians to be ready,” Trump said, claiming that Iran was facing setbacks in its nuclear programme.
The US president said Washington was watching the facility “closely” and alleged that Iran had been avoiding discussions about its nuclear activities following previous US strikes.
“Every time we hear about it, we blow it up. So they don’t like talking about it,” he added.
Located near the Natanz nuclear complex, Pickaxe Mountain is considered one of Iran’s most heavily protected sites, featuring deeply buried tunnel systems that experts believe could withstand some of the most powerful bunker-buster weapons in the US arsenal.
Trump warned that Washington would intensify military action against Tehran following a series of missile and drone exchanges between the two sides.
“We’re going to hit them very hard tonight, and we’re going to hit them hard tomorrow. And there’s not a damn thing they can do about it,” Trump said.
The latest remarks mark a further escalation in tensions between Washington and Tehran, with the possibility of strikes on Iran’s underground nuclear facilities raising concerns of a broader regional conflict.