UAE bars use of its territory for any military action against Iran


Iran US UAE

WEB DESK: The United Arab Emirates has said it will not allow its territory, airspace or waters to be used for launching attacks against Iran, reaffirming its position as tensions rise across the region.

In a statement issued on Monday, the UAE foreign ministry said it remains committed to preventing any hostile military activity against Iran from being carried out through Emirati territory. It also ruled out providing logistical support for such operations, stressing that dialogue, de-escalation, respect for sovereignty and adherence to international law remain the preferred means of addressing regional crises. The UAE hosts thousands of US military personnel, including at the Al Dhafra airbase near Abu Dhabi.

US carrier deployment heightens tensions

The statement came as the US military confirmed the arrival of the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and its strike group in the Middle East, significantly boosting American firepower amid rising tensions with Tehran. US Central Command said the carrier group had been deployed to support regional security and stability. Last week, US President Donald Trump said a US “armada” was heading towards the Gulf, adding that Washington was closely monitoring developments in Iran following a violent crackdown on protests.

Hezbollah warns of wider regional conflict

Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem warned on Monday that any war involving Iran would spread rapidly across the region and draw in allied groups, including Hezbollah. Speaking in a televised address at a solidarity rally for Iran, he said the group would not remain neutral if conflict erupted, warning that a war against Tehran would ignite the entire region.

US warns Iraq over Iran-aligned government

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio cautioned Iraq against forming a government aligned with Iran as former prime minister Nouri al-Maliki emerges as a leading contender to return to office. In a phone call with Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani, Rubio said Washington hoped Iraq’s next government would prioritise stability and avoid regional entanglements. According to the US State Department, Rubio warned that an Iran-influenced government would struggle to protect Iraq’s interests or advance cooperation with the United States. Iraqi political sources said Washington has conveyed its negative view of Maliki’s previous tenure, while acknowledging that the final decision rests with Iraq.

Rights group reports deaths in Iran protests

Separately, a US-based human rights group said on Monday it had confirmed reports that at least 5,848 people were killed during protests in Iran that were suppressed by security forces, adding to international concern over Tehran’s handling of dissent.

You May Also Like