- Web
- 2 Hours ago
Undefeated and unbothered: Terence Crawford walks away on his own terms
-
- Web Desk
- Dec 17, 2025
Terence “Bud” Crawford, boxing’s untouchable pound-for-pound force, has stunned the fight world by announcing his retirement, choosing to step away at the absolute peak of his powers and without a single loss on his record.
The American superstar confirmed the decision Tuesday in a reflective video message, ending a flawless career at 42-0 and closing the door on a run many believe may never be replicated.
“Every fighter knows this moment is coming. You just don’t know when,” Crawford said. “I’ve made peace with what’s next. It’s time.”
Crawford’s exit comes just months after what may stand as the defining moment of modern boxing. In September, he jumped two weight divisions and delivered a masterclass against Canelo Alvarez, defeating the Mexican icon by unanimous decision in a blockbuster bout at Allegiant Stadium. The fight, streamed globally on Netflix, drew a record-breaking crowd of 70,482 in Las Vegas.
That victory crowned Crawford the undisputed super middleweight champion and etched his name deeper into history, making him the only male boxer to claim undisputed status in three separate weight divisions. It also marked his fifth world title across four weight classes, an achievement few dared imagine, let alone accomplish.
On social media, Crawford summed up his mindset bluntly, “Walking away as a great with nothing else left to prove.”
From his professional debut in Omaha, Nebraska, in 2008 to a closing stretch where his final 20 fights were all world title bouts, Crawford built a résumé defined by dominance, intelligence, and ruthless efficiency. He finishes his career with 31 knockouts, a statistic that underlines his ability to end fights as decisively as he controlled them.
In his farewell video, Crawford reflected on what the sport gave him, and what he gave back. “I fought for my family. I fought for my city. I fought for the kid I used to be, the one with nothing but a dream and a pair of gloves,” he said. “And I did it my way.”
His retirement also follows recent turbulence outside the ring, including the World Boxing Council’s decision earlier this month to strip him of the super middleweight title over an unpaid sanctioning fee – an issue that, in hindsight, appears irrelevant to a fighter who has already sealed his legacy.
By leaving undefeated and on his own schedule, Crawford didn’t just retire. He denied boxing the chance to ever see him fade.