US ramps up military presence near Iran as Trump sets 10-day deadline for deal


Trump praises Field Marshal Asim Munir, PM Sharif at Board of Peace address

WEB DESK: Tensions in the Middle East intensified on Thursday as the United States moved additional military assets closer to Iran, raising fears of a potential confrontation.

US President Donald Trump warned that Tehran had roughly “10 days” to reach an agreement with Washington, cautioning that failure to do so would result in unspecified but serious consequences. His remarks came amid reports by CNN and CBS that the US military could be prepared to carry out strikes against Iran as early as the weekend, although no final decision has been announced.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said there were multiple arguments in favour of military action, adding that Iran would be “very wise” to strike a deal with the US administration.

The warnings from Washington followed similar rhetoric from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who said Iran would face a response beyond imagination if it launched an attack on Israel.

According to a report in The Wall Street Journal, Trump has been briefed on a range of military options intended to inflict maximum damage. The report, citing unnamed US officials, said scenarios under consideration included targeting senior Iranian political and military figures with the objective of destabilising the government.

The United States has significantly reinforced its presence in the region in recent days. A second aircraft carrier has been dispatched, joining the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group, which satellite imagery showed operating roughly 700 kilometres off Iran’s coast earlier this week. The deployment includes fighter aircraft and refuelling planes, suggesting preparations for sustained operations if ordered.

Speaking at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting, Trump praised the role of US B-2 bombers in what he described as last summer’s operation against Iran’s nuclear capabilities, claiming the strikes had contributed to regional stability.

Iran, meanwhile, has showcased its own military readiness. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps conducted exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, while Iranian forces also took part in joint drills with Russia in the Gulf of Oman. State television aired footage of special forces units operating from helicopters and naval vessels as part of the manoeuvres.

The escalating rhetoric has prompted international concern. Poland urged its citizens in Iran to leave the country immediately, while Germany withdrew dozens of troops from northern Iraq, scaling back its presence in Erbil to essential personnel only, citing rising regional tensions.

Russia called for calm, with the Kremlin urging all sides to avoid further escalation and expressing hope that diplomatic engagement would prevail in resolving the crisis.

You May Also Like