- Web Desk
- Today
Johnson & Johnson can contest evidence linking its talcum powder to cancer, judge rules
-
- Reuters
- Mar 28, 2024
NEW YORK: Americam pharmaceutical company Johnson & Johnson will get a new chance to contest the scientific evidence linking talcum products to ovarian cancer, a federal judge ruled on Wednesday, potentially disrupting a federal court case that consolidates 53,000 lawsuits.
United States (US) District Judge Michael Shipp in a brief written order said recent changes in the law and new scientific evidence requires a fresh review of the evidence that linked J&J products to ovarian cancer.
Read more: Baltimore bridge collapse: 6 workers missing after ship collided with bridge
Shipp took over the case in February 2023, after the retirement of former Chief District Judge Freda Wolfson, who had overseen the litigation since 2016.
J&J Worldwide Vice President of Litigation Erik Haas said the company was very pleased by the ruling, and that it intended to “shine a light on some of the made-for-court junk science” used in recent trials.
“The passage of time has only solidified the decades of medicine and science that support Johnson & Johnson’s position in these cases,” Haas said in a statement.
Read more: Saudi model to make debut in Miss Universe pageant
J&J has repeatedly denied claims that its baby powder and other talcum products cause cancer or contain asbestos, a known cause of mesothelioma.
The talcum lawsuits had been on hold from 2021 to 2023, while J&J pursued a failed effort to resolve the litigation through the bankruptcy of a subsidiary company, LTL Management. Trials have since resumed, and the latest case ended in a hung jury on March 5.