One dead, five injured in attack on air force convoy in IOJ&K


Indian air force

POONCH: One soldier of the Indian Air Force (IAF) was killed while five others were injured when two vehicles, including one of the IAF, came under fire in the Surankote area of Indian Occupied Jammu and Kashmir’s (IOJ&K) Poonch district, Indian media reported on Sunday.

Of the five injured, one airman is reportedly critical. They were all airlifted to the Command Hospital in Udhampur for further treatment, officials said.

US-led sanctions monitoring groups will fail: North Korean ambassador

“The local Rashtriya Rifles unit started cordon and search operations in the area,” sources in the security forces said.

The IAF said on X, formerly Twitter, that its convoy was attacked near Shahsitar. “An Indian Air Force vehicle convoy was attacked by militants in the Poonch district of J&K, near Shahsitar. Cordon and search operations are underway presently in the area by local military units. The convoy has been secured, and further investigation is under progress,” it said.

Around 6:15 PM local time on Saturday, the convoy was on its way to the air force station from Jaranwali when they were ambushed, officials said.

This is the first major attack on the armed forces this year in the region which witnessed a series of attacks on the occupying army last year. Visuals from after the attack showed at least a dozen bullet holes on the windscreen of the vehicle that came under fire.

Pro-Palestinian protests briefly disrupt University of Michigan graduation

The attackers, armed with AK assault rifles, are believed to have fled into the nearby forests, officials said,

The police assisted by paramilitary forces have been conducting searches in Poonch since Friday. However, no one was arrested during the operation, the officials said.

You May Also Like