- Web
- Yesterday
Spain bars two Israeli ministers, Israel fumes over Palestine recognition
MADRID/ZAGREB: Spain and Israel’s relations plunged to new depths on Tuesday as Madrid barred two far-right Israeli government ministers, a day after announcing measures aimed at stopping “the genocide in Gaza”.
On the other hand, Israel’s foreign minister said Tuesday that recognising the Palestinian statehood would destabilise the Middle East, as several nations have announced their intention to make the move.
Israel’s National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir and Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich would be sanctioned and “not be able to enter Spanish territory”, Madrid’s top diplomat Jose Manuel Albares told a press conference.
GAZA GENOCIDE
Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez on Monday had unveiled nine measures in response to the devastating war in Gaza.
Read more: Spain says it won’t be intimidated, recalls ambassador to Israel
The measures included an entry ban on “all those people participating directly in the genocide, the violation of human rights and war crimes in the Gaza Strip”.
Ben Gvir and Smotrich are already the target of sanctions by Western countries including Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Norway and Slovenia.
Spain had already placed 13 Israeli settlers on its sanctions list.
Monday’s announcement triggered a furious reaction from Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar, who accused the Spanish government of antisemitism and barred two of its far-left members.
Spain in turn rejected what it called the “slanderous” accusations and recalled its ambassador from Tel Aviv. Albares said on Tuesday there was “no scheduled return date” for her.
Relations were already poor, with Spain maintaining outspoken criticism of the Israeli offensive in Gaza and recognising a Palestinian state last year.
President Emmanuel Macron said in July that France would recognise a Palestinian state at the UN General Assembly meeting later this month.
Several other countries, including Australia, Belgium and Canada have since followed, saying they will do the same.
The British government said it would take the step if Israel fails to agree to a ceasefire in Gaza.
Read more: Jordan says Israel killing peace prospects, France sees complete disaster
‘REWARDS HAMAS’
“The current initiative to recognise a so-called Palestinian state… rewards Hamas for the October 7 massacre,” Saar said in the Croatian capital.
He added, “This initiative will not bring us closer to peace or security, the opposite, it will only destabilise the region.”
Read more: GGC condemns planned annexation of occupied West Bank
Saar spoke at a joint press conference with his Croatian counterpart Gordan Grlic Radman, who emphasised his belief in the two-state solution that Israel rejects.
“Peace will be achieved in a bilateral context and not through decisions taken in Paris or Madrid,” Saar said in Zagreb on Tuesday.
