Islamabad–Rawalpindi metro bus service resumes as employees end protest


Islamabad–Rawalpindi metro cus service resumes as employees end protest

ISLAMABAD: The metro bus service between Islamabad and Rawalpindi resumed on Monday after protesting employees ended their sit-in against alleged dismissals, restoring a key public transport link for thousands of commuters.

The service had been suspended earlier after employees blocked the metro track and staged a protest at the Potohar Metro Bus Station, disrupting operations and leaving passengers stranded.

The protest, which also included female employees, was held against the termination of nearly 150 to 200 staff members, with demonstrators rejecting what they called “unlawful dismissals”.

Employees said that they were removed despite contracts reportedly valid until 2027 and claimed that two months’ salaries had not been paid.

They alleged that the metro bus operations contract had been awarded to a new company, after which existing employees were being laid off and replaced.

“The termination process started on May 1 and is still ongoing,” one of the protesters said, adding that long-serving employees with up to 8–10 years of service had been affected.

Workers also claimed that new staff had been hired by the incoming contractor, calling it a violation of agreements.

During the protest, demonstrators demanded intervention from Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz Sharif, urging her to take immediate notice of the situation and ensure justice for the dismissed employees.

The protesters dispersed after negotiations and the restoration of operations, allowing metro bus services to return to normal, easing travel difficulties for daily commuters in the twin cities. Metro bus authorities have not yet issued an official statement on the allegations made by the employees

You May Also Like