- WEB DESK
- August 19, 2026
Mir Raza murder case: New probe team inspects body recovery site
-
- Monis Siraj
- August 11, 2026
KARACHI: A new investigation team in the Mir Raza case has visited the location where his body was recovered. SSP Ali Raza, a member of the team, inspected the site alongside Mir Raza’s family and reviewed the surrounding area. He also questioned Yasir, a nursery worker who first identified the body, to obtain details about the scene. The team further questioned other nursery staff and examined the spot where the body was found, with SSP Ali Raza also taking photographs of the location as part of the investigation.
On August 10, family of Mir Raza had welcomed the formation of a new investigation team into his death, saying it hopes the fresh probe will establish the circumstances surrounding the case and ensure justice.
Lawyer Jibran Nasir, speaking after meeting the newly constituted team on Monday, said it was the first time the family had been able to present its concerns and position to investigators in detail. He said the family provided information about suspected individuals and identified areas requiring further investigation.
Questions over forensic evidence
Nasir, however, raised concerns over the reported failure to deliver DNA and other forensic samples to the laboratory, saying the material had been handed over by the previous investigation officer but apparently never reached the forensic facility.
He said the officials responsible would have to explain the delay, warning that serious consequences could follow if negligence in handling or preserving the evidence was established.
Nasir also welcomed the new team, saying the family viewed its formation as an indication that authorities were now prepared to investigate the matter as a murder rather than maintain the earlier suicide theory. The family had previously expressed doubts over the initial investigation, which linked Raza’s death to financial losses, debt and monetary disputes.
Family gives new team opportunity
Nasir said the family was not currently seeking a judicial commission, maintaining that the police had the legal responsibility to investigate the case. He said the family had communicated its position to the chief justice of the Sindh High Court but wanted to give the new investigation team an opportunity to conduct a fresh probe.
He said the family would approach the court if the investigation failed to make meaningful progress. According to Nasir, the direction of the case should become clearer within the next three to four days, as investigators had been provided information about suspected individuals and other key aspects requiring examination.
Murder theory gains prominence
Raza reportedly went missing on July 28 after leaving his home, and his body was recovered the following day near Gulistan-e-Jauhar. The case was initially associated with a suicide theory, with an alleged audio recording also surfacing over money reportedly owed. The family rejected that explanation and raised concerns about the circumstances of his death. Following its objections, a court ordered the exhumation of Raza’s body from Tariq Road graveyard under the supervision of a medical board.
A subsequent post-mortem examination found that Raza had sustained a gunshot wound from behind and had signs of injuries on his body. The findings prompted renewed questions over the initial investigation and strengthened the family’s demand for a murder probe.
Raza’s father, Mir Hussain, said the family was “satisfied to some extent” with the progress made and had provided investigators with its complete position. He said the family wanted to give the new team time to establish the facts and expected significant developments within three to four days.
The family has, for now, opted to rely on the fresh police investigation while retaining the option of approaching the courts if the probe fails to produce satisfactory results.