Six booked for assaulting driver, vandalising low-cost shuttle in Mansehra


  • WEB DESK
  • August 17, 2026
Six booked for assaulting driver, vandalising low-cost shuttle in Mansehra
Police booked six unidentified men after a driver of a low-cost solar-powered vehicle was allegedly beaten and the vehicle vandalised in Mansehra. — Photo: HUM News

MANSEHRA: Police have registered a case against six unidentified men after a driver operating a low-cost, solar-powered passenger vehicle was allegedly beaten and the vehicle vandalised near Kalgan Sabzi Mandi in Mansehra, according to the first information report (FIR).

The case was registered at Lari Adda Police Station under FIR No 813 on Aug 17 on a complaint of Asim, the driver of the low-cost passenger vehicle.

According to the FIR, the incident occurred when armed men intercepted the passenger vehicle near the vegetable market, assaulted the driver and damaged the vehicle.

The FIR further stated that the assailants later blocked the Karakoram Highway and staged a protest.

Police have booked six unidentified suspects in connection with the incident and launched an investigation to establish their identities and determine the circumstances surrounding the attack.

The incident comes against the backdrop of a dispute over a locally developed, low-cost passenger transport service associated with Mansehra resident Arif Inqalabi.

According to the FIR, Arif had already faced a dispute with a man identified as Raheel, a resident of Phulkiri, over the operation of the low-cost vehicle.

The document stated that Arif had allegedly received threats to his life following the earlier dispute.

Arif reportedly developed a shuttle-style passenger vehicle powered by solar energy with the stated aim of providing an affordable alternative for commuters.

The service was being offered at a fare of Rs20 for a short route, while conventional Suzuki vehicles were charging around Rs50 for the same journey, according to people familiar with the service.

The low fare reportedly attracted passengers, particularly daily-wage workers, students and members of the lower-income and salaried classes who have been struggling with rising transportation costs.

The dispute escalated when opposition to the service allegedly turned violent.

According to the FIR, the driver was assaulted and the vehicle was damaged during the latest incident.

The allegations have also triggered a wider debate among local residents over the difficulties faced by individuals attempting to introduce low-cost and environmentally friendly transport solutions without institutional support.

Residents said that the incident was particularly concerning because the vehicle was being promoted as an alternative mode of public transport that could reduce commuting costs and rely on solar energy.

They questioned whether innovative, locally developed transport initiatives could survive if operators were left vulnerable to disputes with existing transport operators.

The incident also highlights the tension that can arise when new, informal transport services begin operating alongside established public transport networks.

While questions relating to permits, route authorisation, vehicle registration and safety standards need to be addressed by the relevant authorities, residents said such disputes should be resolved through legal and administrative channels rather than violence.

Arif’s supporters have called for an impartial investigation into the attack, protection for those associated with the service and clarification of the legal status of the vehicle.

Police said that raids were being carried out to arrest the six suspects allegedly involved in the assault and vandalism.

Investigators said that they would examine the circumstances of the earlier dispute, the reported threats against Arif and the events surrounding the attack near Kalgan Sabzi Mandi. Further investigation is under way

You May Also Like

WhatsApp