- Web Desk
- 11 Minutes ago
Tehran reviewing US response as Trump signals willingness to wait
-
- Web Desk
- Now
TEHRAN: Iran said on Thursday it was reviewing the latest United States position on ending the conflict, as President Donald Trump indicated he was prepared to wait a few days for Tehran’s response but warned of renewed military action if no agreement is reached.
“We have received US views and are reviewing them,” Iranian state media quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei as saying.
Trump, speaking to reporters, said earlier that Washington could allow limited time for negotiations but insisted the situation would not remain open-ended.
“It could be a few days, but it could go very quickly,” he said, adding that he was waiting for “the right answers” from Tehran.
He reiterated that the United States would not allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon and warned that failure to reach a deal could trigger further escalation.
“We’re in the final stages of Iran. Either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” Trump said.
Pakistan continuing mediation efforts
Pakistan, which hosted earlier rounds of indirect talks, is continuing to act as a conduit between Tehran and Washington, Iranian officials said.
Iranian sources said multiple channels of communication remained active, while Pakistan’s interior minister visited Tehran earlier this week as part of ongoing diplomatic engagement.
Talks show limited progress
Six weeks after a fragile ceasefire, negotiations to end the conflict have made limited headway, even as global markets remain sensitive to developments in the region, particularly oil prices.
Domestic political pressure is also mounting on Trump ahead of upcoming midterm elections, with rising fuel costs affecting his approval ratings.
Iranian warning over renewed strikes
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps warned against any renewed military action.
“If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” it said in a statement.
Tehran has submitted a revised proposal to Washington this week, reportedly including demands previously rejected by Trump, such as sanctions relief, unfreezing of assets and security arrangements in the Strait of Hormuz.
Tensions around Strait of Hormuz
The Strait of Hormuz, a key global energy route, has seen reduced shipping activity since the conflict began.
Iran recently proposed a “controlled maritime zone” in the strait, requiring transit authorisation from a new authority. Washington has rejected any move that would impose restrictions or fees on passage.
Shipping data indicated increased but still limited movement through the waterway compared with pre-war levels, when up to 140 vessels passed daily.
Continued regional volatility
The wider conflict has resulted in heavy casualties across Iran, Israel and Lebanon, and has fuelled concerns over regional stability and global energy security.
Despite months of fighting and strikes, Iran retains its nuclear materials and missile capabilities, while political change within the country has remained limited.
Both Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have said their objectives include curbing Iran’s regional influence and dismantling its nuclear programme, though no comprehensive settlement has yet been reached.