- Monis Siraj
- August 21, 2026
Lahore: 11 killed, six injured as rescue operation ends after roof collapse
-
- Ali Raza | Talha Saeed | Uzair Chaudhary
- July 30, 2026
LAHORE: The rescue operation after a house roof collapsed in Harbanspura has been completed, Lahore Deputy Commissioner Captain (retd) Muhammad Ali Ejaz said.
According to the district administration, 11 people were killed and six others injured in the incident. All injured persons were immediately shifted to relevant hospitals for treatment.
The rescue operation was carried out by Rescue 1122 and the district administration under the supervision of the Lahore deputy commissioner. The deputy commissioner directed officials to immediately remove the debris of the affected house from the area. He also instructed the Shalimar assistant commissioner to submit a detailed inquiry report on the causes of the incident.
“The rescue operation in Harbanspura has been completed after all stages were concluded,” DC Lahore Muhammad Ali Ejaz said.
He expressed grief over the loss of lives, calling the incident tragic. The deputy commissioner said he was continuously monitoring the condition of the injured and the medical facilities being provided to them.
Earlier today, Ijaz said that rescue workers had so far pulled several people from the rubble, while the search for others continued. “The operation will continue until the last person is recovered,” he said.
Rescue Emergency Officer Hamad Rizwan said the narrow streets leading to the site had slowed the operation.
“As soon as we received the emergency call, our teams reached the site. The lanes are extremely narrow, which has made the rescue operation more difficult,” he said.
Rizwan said the building collapsed floor by floor, adding that unstable walls posed a serious risk to rescuers. “This was a three-storey house and all three floors collapsed one after another. At this stage, it is too early to say when the operation will be completed,” he added.
Officials said several injured people were shifted to Services Hospital, while others were provided first aid at the scene.
Lahore Commissioner Nauman Yousaf visited the accident site and later Services Hospital, where he reviewed treatment arrangements for the injured. “The injured are being provided the best possible medical care,” he said.
Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz expressed grief over the loss of lives and directed the Lahore deputy commissioner and other administrative officials to supervise the rescue operation. She also ordered authorities to ensure “the best possible treatment” for the injured and extended her condolences to the bereaved families.
Rescue teams remained at the site as efforts continued to locate those feared trapped beneath the collapsed structure.
Earlier this month, fourteen children died when the roof of a private tuition centre collapsed on top of them in Kahna, a suburb of Lahore. Most of the children pulled from the site were aged between seven and 11, and five others are believed to have been injured. Authorities began an investigation, and two people were taken into custody. Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif offered condolences and directed authorities to provide medical assistance to the injured while CM Maryam Nawaz Sharif called it a “heartbreaking tragedy” and vowed accountability.