Pervez Ashraf says ‘he has spotless life’ after ‘Pinky’ names him in viral video


Pervez Ashraf says ‘he has spotless life’ after Pinky names him in viral video

ISLAMABAD: Former prime minister and Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) leader Raja Pervez Ashraf on Wednesday rejected allegations after drug suspect Anmol alias “Pinky” named him in a viral video during a court appearance last week.

Speaking on the floor of the National Assembly, Ashraf said that he had “led a spotless life” and expressed surprise at the claims circulating on social media.

A video that went viral online showed “Pinky”, appearing to mention “Raja Pervez” before her statement was cut short by accompanying police officials. In another clip, her lawyer is seen telling reporters that she was being pressured to name certain politicians.

On May 18, during a court appearance in Karachi, the suspect had also alleged she was under pressure to “take names”, according to earlier reports.

Referring to the footage, Ashraf told lawmakers that he initially assumed the reference was to another individual with a similar name.

He said that within hours of the video circulating, social media users and vloggers began discussing the matter widely.

The PPP leader thanked his party colleagues, political opponents and family members for defending his character, adding that he had “served as prime minister and National Assembly speaker” and maintained a public life free of controversy.

“I present myself for any inquiry in this regard,” he said, calling for an investigation into the matter.

Ashraf also urged the introduction of a mechanism to regulate unverified commentary on social media during ongoing investigations, warning against what he described as “media trials” of individuals before due process.

National Assembly Speaker Sardar Ayaz Sadiq subsequently invited Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar to respond.

Tarar expressed solidarity with Ashraf, saying the allegation was “so frivolous in nature” that it should not be given weight.

He said the entire House stood with the former prime minister and suggested the suspect may have been attempting to divert attention from her case.

The law minister said the matter would be taken up with the Ministry of Information and the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA), adding that “action will be taken at the state level” where necessary.

He also criticised sections of the media for extensive coverage of the viral claim, urging restraint and greater emphasis on “morality, dignity and honour” in reporting.

Tarar assured the House that the issue would be investigated, including the circumstances surrounding the lawyer’s later statement and the handling of court proceedings.

Ayaz Sadiq, meanwhile, said drug abuse was “making the whole nation hollow” and called for stricter measures to curb its spread in educational institutions.

He urged lawmakers to work on comprehensive legislation to address the issue.

You May Also Like