- Web Desk
- 51 Minutes ago
Trump warns US could strike Iran again as Tehran pushes for deal
-
- Web Desk
- 7 Minutes ago
WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has said the United States could launch fresh strikes against Iran within days if Tehran fails to reach a deal with Washington, while also claiming Iranian leaders are eager for an agreement.
Speaking to reporters at the White House on Tuesday, Trump revealed he had been “an hour away” from authorising military action before deciding to delay it.
“I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump said, adding that military action could still happen “Friday, Saturday, Sunday, maybe early next week” if diplomacy fails.
He stressed that Washington would not allow Iran to develop a nuclear weapon.
Trump’s remarks came a day after he said he had paused a planned resumption of hostilities following a new proposal from Tehran aimed at ending the US-Israeli conflict.
US Vice President JD Vance also said both Washington and Tehran had made significant progress in talks and neither side wanted to return to full-scale military confrontation.
In Tehran, however, Iranian officials claimed Trump’s delay reflected fears of a strong Iranian response. Ebrahim Azizi, head of Iran’s parliamentary national security committee, said any US attack would face a “decisive military response.”
Iranian state media reported that Tehran’s latest proposal includes ending hostilities across the region, lifting sanctions, releasing frozen Iranian assets and removing US military pressure near Iranian territory.
According to Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi, the proposal also calls for an end to the US marine blockade and compensation for damage caused during US-Israeli attacks.
Despite the diplomatic push, Reuters reported that the new proposal appears largely similar to an earlier Iranian offer that Trump had previously dismissed as “garbage.”
A Pakistani source told Reuters that Islamabad, which has been acting as a communication channel between the two sides, had delivered Iran’s latest proposal to Washington. The source added that both sides continue “changing their goalposts” and warned that “there is not much time.”
Meanwhile, oil prices fell after Trump’s comments, with Brent crude dropping 1.64 per cent to $110.26 per barrel.
The conflict has kept global attention focused on the Strait of Hormuz, a key route for international oil shipments. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres reportedly discussed efforts to prevent Iran from disrupting shipping in the strategic waterway.
Although a ceasefire reached in April has largely held, tensions remain high across the region, with reports of drone launches from Iraq toward Gulf countries including Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have said the military campaign was aimed at weakening Iran’s nuclear and missile capabilities and limiting Tehran’s support for regional militias. However, analysts say Iran still retains significant missile, drone and uranium enrichment capabilities despite months of conflict.